Friday, July 1, 2011

July 4th plans...

Busy work week kept me going just 'coz I could see some light at the end of the week. Yes! its a long weekend in America this week. America celebrates its independence day on 4th of July. For me its just another long weekend in summer that we look forward to relax. The other day at work Ashish was asking a very stupid question, "Do Europeans have 4th of July?". Before I could open my mouth and say something Smith, the only American among us said yes they do and agreed that most of the people in America will say no to this question.

Lake Eola
We have celebrated or enjoyed 4th of July in the past by meeting friends and organizing BBQ party and light up some fireworks at night. Every year on this day there is a huge gathering in Orlando's iconic destination, Lake Eola in the heart of Downtown. Once we went there to witness the fireworks but Rhea, who was just 2 at that time was scared of the fireworks sound, forced us to move far away from the Lake Eola park to the nearest neighborhood.
Fireworks at Lake Eola
We might light up some fireworks this year too and I am planning to make some sekh kababs, for an Indian style BBQ, during the weekend. Thinking about July 4th weekend makes me wonder...what happens if it falls in the middle of the week? Is it still going to be a long weekend? Smith says sometimes the July 4th festivities are moved to the weekend depending on the region.

Its a typical Florida summer afternoon here with cloudy sky and chances of storm lurking in. Perfect weather to make some spicy pakoras with a cup of chai. Put on some nice old bollywood music and relax watching the rain; but here I am sitting in front of my workstation, tired and sleepy. My craving for pakoras will have to wait till I reach home. Just few hours to go for the long weekend to embark....


4 comments:

  1. Happy 4th to all of you! Remember the fun times, and miss them so. Sheekh kababs rock, let me know how they turn out! And just like always, here's my usual rant..make a last minute plan, and drive up to Philly! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Som, I was thinking about you guys and the BBQ party we had last time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah!
    Long weekend? Enjoy. For us this will be another one of those very short and busy weekends, where we spend most of the time looking for a parking in that shopping mall.
    Too much of shopping to do and too little time left before Tara and kids leave on their vacation to India.
    Hah! Again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy shopping...Monday chutti le le ;-)

    ReplyDelete