Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blood Vs Munchkins

Last week Jee was picking up Rhea from the summer camp in YMCA, when he saw the Red Cross blood donation bus parked outside. I don't know what came to his mind but he decided to donate blood and stepped inside the Van. A nurse greeted the little girl and asked her, "Wow,  you want to donate the blood, sweetie?".  "No, my Dad wants to?", said the scared little girl.

After about 15 minutes of Blood Donor History Questionnaire, including the questions on whether he recently visited any European countries or any countries in the developing world and a plenty on health history, she was ready to draw blood. The little girl was also given a background about blood donation. The Nurse explained, the wide eyed little girl who was pretty amazed by her father's decision to donate blood, that his blood will save three lives who are in need for blood. 

The sticker
On their way out the Nurse gave a doctor's coat to the little girl, who proudly wore it and with twinkling eyes declared "I am going to be a Doctor when I grow up". Nurse also offered some snacks to the blood donor hero and the proud daughter. The proud desi father declined with a shy smile and the ABCD (American born confident desi) daughter with no inhibitions accepted the offer and picked up some cookies and juice box for herself. They were almost going to step out of the van when the Nurse said "Wait Mr Jacob, I almost forgot one thing.". She reached for the small wooden caddy full of stickers and picked one, handed it to the donor with a smile.  

Their ride back home was filled with one-sided conversations like "Appa you are so brave!!", "I am so proud of you; your blood is going to save three lives". "I think you should rest for the evening as you might be tired". "We will ask Mommy to take good care of you". etc etc

The first thing when Amma reaches home from work hears is "Mommy, Mommy, guess what, Appa donated blood today and he saved three lives.". She was jumping up and down with excitement and proudly displayed her new doctor's coat and also showed Appa's sticker. Amma was also given instruction on how to take care of Appa as he has donated blood. I could notice in my little girl's eyes, that she was really proud of her Appa and he has become her hero. 

Next morning, I couldn't prepare lunch box for my daughter's summer camp and decided to stop at Dunkin' Donuts to get some lunch for the little girl. Rhea is a loves donut and was secretly wishing her Amma would buy one for her. While we were waiting for our turn in the queue, she kept reminding me "Mommy, I love these donuts.". "These small round ones, Mommy are also good. hmmm yummy!!". "Mollu, we are here to pick lunch for you. So no donuts, okay!", I knew she might skip her lunch if she gets donut. "Mommy, Marianna was eating those little round ones the other day, I wish I could have one of those for snacks, please please...pretty please". Somehow I changed my mind when it was our turn and bought her a lunch and some munchkins. Four is the minimum they sell, said the busy lady at the counter. 

With two bags, one each of lunch and snack in her hands, the little girl was extra happy and announced "Mommy you are so nice. I love you". I smiled back at her, thinking four munchkins later I am the new hero of my girl. The pint of blood that Appa had donated yesterday has taken  back seat now.  Step back Appa, its Mommy in the drivers seat now. ;-)



4 comments:

  1. Very nice Rij :) Enjoyed this a lot ... keep going gal :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks yaar..when are you starting??

    ReplyDelete
  3. riji loved this its only right now I came to know this is your blog site now i will read it just like reading a book great say hi to jacob and proud rhea kutty take care bye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oleena, nice to see your comment...are you in India now?

    ReplyDelete