Monday, July 4, 2011

Change of plan...



Last Friday at work we were all casually discussing about our long weekend plans. I told my colleagues about my plans to do some Indian style BBQ / seekh kabab at home. My colleague Smith asked "You mean shish kabab right?". I really don't know the difference, I guess one is made with minced meat and another with meat cubes arranged alternatively with vegetables. Anyways I was planning to make the one with the minced meat.


After listening to the description, Smith asked me if I have ever had meat loaf. We have been in America for last 8-9 years and I have never had meat loaf. Smith said he makes meat loaf often at home and its quiet easy and is part of home cooking. You will find dishes like meat loaf or a pot roast in mostly diners and places where they serve home style dishes.

I have had seekh kabab in the past so I thought why not change the July 4th BBQ plan to bake my first meat loaf. At home we are all fan of Indian style recipes. So my search for a meat loaf recipe was 'Indian style meat loaf recipe'. I was not sure it a thing like that even existed, but to my surprise it does and even sounds better, when I saw the recipe. The recipe I used was from Show me the curry, managed by two ladies and business partners. I liked the recipe, so I printed it out but did some personalization of my own to suit the taste of my family ( I will post the recipe in my next blog)

Summer Salad

So the menu was decided. 
  • Summer salad - assorted greens with raspberry, cocoa roast almonds, raspberry merlot vinaigrette dressing.
  • Meat loaf with some ready made dinner rolls.
  • Liver fry - recipe and idea courtesy Elizabeth Jacob.

The salad was an instant hit among us. Though Jee was excited about eating chicken Liver Fry, as he has seen his best buddy and namesake eating it more than once during the Skype sessions, he 'chicken'ed out at the last moment when the appetizer was ready citing google research on how liver is very high in cholesterol. Rhea ate a few bites but said she doesn't like it afterwards. Meanwhile Meat Loaf was baking away in the owen testing our patience.

Liver Fry
Meat Loaf
The star item came out very good, better than our expectations. The spices were just right and the taste, something we were looking for. Its like saying 'Anything you can do I can do better.' Definitely better than Smith's preference of meat loaf with minimal spices. 






2 comments:

  1. khao khao, apna ghar samajh rakkha hai kya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are aise kahe bhadak rahein ho...aapka hi ghar hai !!

    ReplyDelete