Thursday, July 21, 2011

A decade of togetherness...

It began as any other work day for me. Last night when I called home my parents reminded me that it was my 10th engagement anniversary. We had thought about this milestone some time back. But, as usual when the day came we both completely forget, at least that's what I thought.


After lunch is the worst time at work for me and all of my colleagues. We work 9-6 and after lunch its 5 more hours before we can go home.  Those 5 hours is the hardest part of the work week. 


So as usual we were all busy working at our station when Michelle, one of our colleague from other room came to our room and pointed out at us. Four eyes were on her looking for answers..whats up?? Suddenly a lady appeared from behind with a huge Bouquet of red roses, nicely arranged. She moved forward to my desk and presented the lovely bouquet to me saying "Happy anniversary ma'am". I could see all the guys saying smiling at me. "Its her birthday or maybe anniversary"... some one said, "wow... nice" someone else said and they all started clapping. 

I was so flushed, I have seen this happening in movies and TV but never thought it will actually happen to me. Anyways, I  thoroughly enjoyed all the attention and let everyone know that it was my 10th engagement anniversary. Proudly, I placed the flowers next to my desk, there was a card attached in the bouquet which read " 10 wonderful years of life together...Re :-) Jee".  Many happy thoughts, and moments from past floated in my mind at that instant. I was so elated that I stared at the beautiful bouquet without blinking and answering to all the queries of my very curious colleagues at the same time. Luis, the most curious among them reminded me to call Jee. 


Oh yeah...I need to call him... :-) 


For the rest of the day anyone and everyone passing by our room  would pause upon seeing the lovely flowers.. "Hey, what's the occasion??". I could read the surprise in every ones eyes when I told them that ours was an arranged marriage, a concept that the folks here find hard to believe. All the discussions revolved around how one usually proposed to their spouses. It was interesting to know that it was always the guys who proposed to their better halves only after getting a hint from them. "Its either propose or get the hell out of here" said the experience of a man married for 34 years, who wandered in to our room when he saw the flowers. 


I had the company of those wonderful looking and great smelling flowers for the rest of the day and those 5 hours passed more easily than it usually does...







10 comments:

  1. Wow...congrats Re :) Jee

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats rij..i remember one time post wedding when the only alphabet in your vocabulary was "G".BTW flushed is the same as blushed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sonal...Any chance of being in Bhilai during Aug 12th - 20th?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Ri-Jee. I think, tonight I'll leave you guys alone. Enjoy.
    I'll celebrate the occasion tomorrow, with a Chicken Biryani from Al Osra.
    See you tomorrow at the same time and at the same place where we meet...... every week.
    ENSOYYYYYY
    Ending with a big big MUAHHHHHH to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jacob, we are free tonight..actually we were thinking of giving you company tonight itself as Jee was quite sad reading your latest blog. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. There's a little secret I want to share.... but I am going out now.... will be back in a couple of hours.
    You have two hours to do ... whatever you want to ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats darling! Can't believe it's been 10 years! I loved the last words "and those 5 hours passed more easily than it usually does..." God bless you both :)

    Lotssss of love and prayers... pavana.

    ReplyDelete